If you’re considering making a move to Schertz, you might want to learn a little about the city first. While Googling its popular sites, researching its schools and neighborhoods, or even just driving around might tell you a little, even that may not be enough.
To truly get to know a town, you have to get to know its people. And as longtime Schertz real estate agents – many of whom have lived in this great city for a while – we have firsthand knowledge of what Schertz residents are like.
We know what they do, who they are and what they like. And to help you get a feel for whether this city is a good fit for you and your family, we’ve complied some of that info here. Take a look and see if the Schertz population is right for you.
The People of Schertz
The overall population of Schertz, Texas varies greatly. As of 2010, the U.S. Census has the city’s total residents at 31,465, though in 2015, estimates suggest that number has grown by more than 20 percent, now clocking in around 38,000.
On average, there are about 6,600 different households in the city, and 5,283 families. The average household size is 2.82 people, and the average family boasts 3.17 people. Here’s how those families and households break down:
- 42 percent have children under the age of 18 in them
- 67 percent are married couples living together
- 10 percent have a female head of household, with no male or husband present
- 20 percent are non-families
- 16 percent are individuals
- 5 percent are senior citizens 65 or older living alone
- There are more females than males, with just 93.9 males for every 100 females.
As for ages, Schertz residents run the gamut. Likely because of the area’s great schools, nearly 30 percent of the Schertz population is under the age of 18 – the largest portion of the city’s population. The median age of a Schertz resident is 35. Here’s how the rest of the ages break down:
- 6 percent of residents are between 18 and 24
- 33 percent of residents are between 25 to 44
- 22 percent of residents are between 45 and 64
- 8 percent of residents are 65 or older
In addition to the varied ages and households of the city, Schertz also boasts a wide range of ethnicities and races as well. Here’s a snapshot of those:
- 82 percent of residents are white / Caucasian
- 6 percent of residents are African American
- 1 percent of residents are of Asian descent
- .5 percent of residents are Native American
- .2 percent of residents are Pacific Islander
- 5 percent are other races
- 3 percent boast two or more racial backgrounds
- 19 percent of residents are Hispanic or Latino (this also qualifies as white / Caucasian)
The Schertz population is truly a varied and diverse group of people. You’ll find residents from all backgrounds and walks of life, and that’s part of what makes this city so great. Everyone is welcome!
The Schertz Lifestyle
Numbers and stats aside, there’s a lot more to learn about the people of Schertz. Their income levels, for example, average about $55,000 for a household and $59,000 for a family. Males come in with a $38K average income, while females have a $28K one. Only 5 percent of the city’s population is below the poverty line.
Because Schertz is very near to local military bases, like Randolph Air Force Base, Fort Sam Houston and Lackland Air Force Base, many of the city’s residents have strong military connections. This also makes a large number of Schertz residents fairly temporary, as many military members are transferred annually to other bases across the world.
But not all Schertz residents are in the military. In fact, their careers and jobs are as varied as their backgrounds. Some are employed in the gas industry or in construction, by companies like GE Oil & Gas, Lowe’s, Caterpillar and Brandt Engineering, while others work for big-name stores and manufacturers, like Amazon.com, Wal-Mart Stores and HEB Grocery Co. FedEx and Sysco are also major employers in the area.
Come Join Them
The moral of the story? Everyone is welcome here in Schertz. No matter your age, race, job or income, there’s a place for you in the city of Schertz. Want to check it out for yourself? Contact the Claus Team, and we’ll help you tour the city and find the absolute best home for you and your family. Call us today to get started.