Summer is here in full force, and with it comes those scorching, 100 degree-plus days where the heat is unbearable and the sun is downright dangerous.
While you could hole up in your house for the next three months, just waiting for the cool fall weather to arrive, that wouldn’t be fun for anyone – especially if you’ve got antsy kids home from school.
Fortunately, becoming a hermit is not your only option if you want to stay cool. If you live in the Schertz, Cibolo, Garden Ridge or surrounding areas of Hill Country, there are actually quite a few places you can beat the heat AND have fun at the same time.
DO you want to keep your cool this summer but still get out and have a good time with the kiddos or your pals? Here are some great local options:
- Water parks – The San Antonio is chock full of water parks. For the true water park experience head to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. This massive water park can keep the kids entertained – and cool – for days. You can even stay on site if you want to make a vacation of it! There’s also Splashtown, Aquatica (located on the SeaWorld property) and several water rides at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. For something smaller and more local, consider River Bluff at the JW Marriott San Antonio, Waterpark Excitement in Seguin, or a number of water rides and options at ZDT’s Amusement Park. Just remember to layer on the sunscreen before you go out – and throughout the day. The water may keep you cool, but it won’t fight off those nasty rays!
- Ice cream shops – Cool down from the inside out with a tasty sweet treat from one of the area’s many ice cream shops. But forget all those chains and store-bought options. Instead, keep it fresh and fun by trying some of the more local joints, like Freddy’s Frozen Custard in Selma, Subzero in Converse, El Paraiso in Fredericksburg or Brindles in San Antonio. Brindles was actually named the city’s best ice cream place last year by San Antonio Current, so you can rest assured it’s a great option. If you’re on a date night, consider The House Boozy Ice Cream & Brews, which blends alcohol and ice cream into the perfect cool-down concoction. What more could you want on a hot summer night?
- Pools – If a full day at the water park isn’t possible, consider stopping by one of the many amazing pools in the area. The city of Schertz offers public pools at Northcliffe Park and Pickrell Park, and both are open until late August. The JW Marriott in San Antonio has two main pools, three slides and a lazy river, and the Mokara Hotel & Spa has a rooftop pool with a killer view. The city of San Antonio also offers dozens of public pools that a free for residents.
- Lakes and swimming holes – Swimming doesn’t have to be done in a concrete pool – at least not in Hill Country. Thankfully, our area is home to dozens of amazing natural swimming spots, like lakes, rivers, ponds and more. Some of the top options include Spring Lake Falls in San Marcos, the East Common Street Crossing in New Braunfels, Blue Hole in Wimberley, or the spring-fed Landa Park swimming hole, also in New Braunfels. If you’re feeling adventurous, consider tubing down the Comal River or taking a ride down the City Tube Chute in New Braunfels! It’s fast, fun and cooling all at the same time.
- Snow cones – Want a quick fix to beat the heat? Shaved ice and snow cones offer a cheap, fast way to cool down when the weather is hot. Luckily, they’re not hard to come by either. Bahama Buck’s are located throughout the San Antonio area, and The Gourmet Ice Co. is a top choice if you’re in New Braunfels. Cibolo has GI Sno, and Hokulia Shave Ice offers massive frozen treats the next time you’re in Gruene. The options are endless!
Forget waiting out the summer days holed up in the house. Hill Country is full of fun, affordable activities that can keep you, the kids and the entire family cool and entertained all summer long. Do you want to learn more about the area? Do you need more recommendations for cool, summer fun? Check out The Claus Team blog or contact one of our local agents today. We’re here to help however we can!