Summer can be pretty stressful for parents.
Sure, it’s great to have the kids home for an extended period of time, but it can also be a little overwhelming. How can you keep them entertained and occupied while still keeping up with your work, house and other must-dos? More importantly, how can you keep them active, healthy and learning while they’re away from school?
Fortunately, Schertz makes answering these questions easy.
One of the best things about Schertz is that it’s super family-friendly. Whether your kids are 5, 10 or 20-year-olds home from college for the summer, there’s something fun and entertaining for all ages and interests here. Some are free, some cost a little, and some are just good old stand-bys that locals have enjoyed for years.
Are you looking to keep your kiddos entertained in the fast-approaching summer season? Here are a few Schertz area options you may want to consider:
- YMCA day camps – The YMCA hosts day camps for ages 5 to 13. These not only keep the kids occupied while you’re away at work, but they also let them socialize, have fun and learn while they’re at it. Each week of day camp comes with a different theme; some themes include super heroes, kid Olympics, movin’ and groovin’ and sports. Participants take regular field trips to athletic events, the swimming pool, the movies and more.
- Sylvan Learning Camps – Located at the Forest Ridge Shopping Center, Sylvan’s camps offer kids hands-on training in STEM fields. There’s the “Robotics for Kids” camp, which lets kids learn to build a working robot using LEGOs, there’s “Coding for Kids,” where they can create their own video games and animation, and there’s even an engineering class designed for kids. The courses can help improve academic performance, as well as serve as a fun and interactive activity for the summer months. Sylvan also offers “Edge” camps, which are designed to give kids a leg up in particular academic areas, like reading, algebra, writing or just studying in general.
- Parks – Schertz kids are lucky enough to have access to 10 different parks, each with a wide variety of free amenities and facilities. For kids who like skateboarding or roller blading, there’s a skate park at 840 Community Circle. For younger ones, the Schertz Community Playscape at 608 Schertz Parkway is a must-visit. If sports are more your child’s thing, look to Crescent Bend Nature Park, where they can go fishing, or Ashley Park, where they can play basketball, soccer and more. Pickrell Park has pools for cooling down when the weather’s hot, and the Schertz Ballpark has 7 baseball fields if a quick game of catch or pick-up ball is more up your kid’s alley.
- Shopping – The Forum at Olympia Parkway is the area’s top spot for shopping, and it’s a favorite among tweens and teens with time to spare. The center even has restaurants, salons, toy stores and a place called Painting with a Twist, which offers hands-on painting classes for the artsy types.
- Natural Bridge Caverns – The Natural Bridge Caverns is the area’s top tourist attraction, but it’s not just for visitors. It also offers a ton for locals to do too. There are various adventure tours, where teens can get down and dirty climbing, crawling and rappelling through ancient underground caverns, and there’s even a giant maze to challenge friends in. Kids can also go gem and fossil mining or take the canopy climbing challenge and zip-line down to the bottom.
- Football & cheerleading – For the sportier types, the Buffalo Valley Youth Association offers summer leagues for football and cheerleading. The leagues are open to ages 4 to 14, and there are both tackle and flag football options.
No matter what your child is interested in, Schertz has something they’ll enjoy this summer. So don’t let them waste away in front of the TV playing video games. Get together with other moms in your area, and enroll them in an athletic league, camp or other program. If that’s not their cup of tea, encourage them to get out and take advantage of all the other amenities Schertz has to offer, like its many parks, pools, trailing and fishing areas.
Want to learn more about the Schertz area or need help finding the perfect property for your family in Schertz? Contact the Claus Team today. Our agents are experts in Schertz real estate, and they’ll help you find the dream home you’ve been looking for.