When it comes to buying your first home, it’s all about managing expectations. Sure, we’d all love to find our dream homes in the perfect location, with the perfect schools, at the perfect price. But the chances of that happening? Well, those are slim to none.
Still, that doesn’t mean you have to settle.
You have to live with your home purchase for a very long time, so it needs to be one you’re happy with, comfortable in and safe in, so you don’t want to check your demands too much at the door!
Are you about to start the hunt for your first home? Then let’s dive into what you should – and shouldn’t – expect with your big purchase.
What You Should Expect
- A hazard-free living environment – The home you purchase needs to be safe and livable. That means it meets all appropriate building codes, it has working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, it doesn’t have asbestos or lead-based paint, and it poses no threat to you or those living there with you. To ensure any home you’re looking at is safe, always be sure to get a home inspection before signing a contract.
- A well-maintained, easy-to-care for property – Whether your home is brand new or has been lived in for 40 years, you have the right to expect it to be well-cared for and properly maintained. That means the AC, heating, plumbing and other major systems work, there are no major foundational issues, and there aren’t any serious or potential repairs lurking around the corner.
- All the basics – You might not get a home just brimming with the latest upgrades and amenities, but your first property should at least offer you the basics you and your loved ones need to get by. That means plenty of space for each of you to live and sleep, working bathrooms, a kitchen, a living area, a yard with a working fence, and a garage or driveway where you can park your vehicle.
- Lots of help from your realtor- Your realtor is going to walk you through every step of the homebuying process, so while you might be a little anxious about diving into such a serious endeavor, don’t let it get to you. You will have an expert professional by your side through it all, and they’ll have your best interests at heart from beginning to end.
What You Shouldn’t Expect
- Everything your heart desires – You should definitely go into your home search with a list of amenities you want, but don’t expect the home you buy to have every single one of them. That’s a rare find – even if you’re willing to shell out serious cash for it! Remember, you can always add on or renovate your property later on, so narrow your list to a few must-haves – things you and your loved ones absolutely need for a good living experience in the home.
- The perfect property – It’s surprising to many buyers, but even a brand new, just built home as issues. In fact, a home inspector could find just as many problems with a new construction home as one that’s being resold by its previous buyers. The key here is to know which problems are deal breakers (ones that pertain to safety or will cost an arm and a leg to fix) and which ones you can negotiate with the seller to fix or knock off the sales price.
- An easy road – Sometimes, finding the right property is hard, and it can take months and months to do – especially if you’re buying in the busy season or in a particularly hot market. If it’s possible, don’t rush the process, and talk to your realtor about what you should expect in terms of timing. Also be sure to act fast when you find a property you like; if you’ve fallen in love with a home, there’s a good chance another buyer will, too, and that could force a bidding war and drive up the price. Never dawdle if there’s a home you’re considering!
Buying your first home is exciting, scary and overwhelming all at the same time, but remember: You don’t have to go it alone. Get in contact with a real estate agent at The Claus Team today, and we’ll walk you through the entire process from start to finish. Just call us now, and we’ll start finding properties that meet your needs and budget right away!