Keeping the kids entertained during the long summer months can be hard. There’s only so much to do, and you only have so much money to spend doing it.
Fortunately, if you live in the San Antonio area – or anywhere around it – you’re in luck: There are loads of absolutely free summer activities that can keep your kiddos occupied easily and cheaply from May until August.
Want to take advantage of them? Here are 10 great activities you can do right now – for free!
- Tech Camp – Have a child who just loves technology? If they’re aged 8 to 12, they’re eligible to join Apple Camp, where they can learn to create stories, shoot videos and make movies all with their very own hands. They even get to create a soundtrack once all is said and done, and they can even create interactive books with illustrations and sound effects.
- Movies – Tired of pricy movie tickets? Take the kids to Santikos any Tuesday or Wednesday at 10 a.m., and see a new release completely free! There are also a few places that offer free outdoor movies in the summer, including Travis Park, the San Antonio Museum of Art and Woodlawn Lake Park.
- Bowling – Bowling can be a great way to have fun and get a little physical activity, but it can get expensive, especially if you’ve got multiple kids on your hands. Fortunately, several lanes in the area offer kids free games throughout the summer, as part of the Kids Bowl Free These include Bandera Bowling Center, Oak Hills Lanes and Astros Super Bowl. AMF lanes also offer free bowling for kids on weekdays throughout June, July and August.
- San Antonio Children’s Museum – No more high prices for museum admission. Take your kiddos to the city’s renowned Children’s Museum for no cost every third Tuesday of every month this summer. Parking’s free, too! Other museums that offer occasional free admission include the Witte Museum (Tuesdays from 3 to 8 p.m.), the DoSeum (first and third Tuesdays of each month) and the McNay Museum (every second Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m.).
- Art class – Have a child who’s the creative type? Head to Inspire Community Fine Art Center for a free kid’s art class every second Saturday of the month this summer. Go enough times, and they can even earn points toward T-shirts and discounts on more classes at the center. San Antonio Cultural Arts also offers free art camps for kids ages 13 to 17 in June and July. Kids can learn about comic book creation, paper making, woodblock carving, screen printing and more.
- Bug Camp – Does your kid love creepy crawlies? Bug Camp may be right up their alley. Presented in June, July and August, the three-hour camps are completely free of charge and offer something new at each sessions.
- Petting Zoo – If fuzzy wuzzies are more their thing, take your kids to the Happy Tails mobile petting zoo, presented for free at the San Antonio Public Library in June and July.
- Hands–on building – Give your child some hands-on fun with Home Depot’s Ice Age Bowling Game workshop, a completely free course that let kids create a fun, real-life bowling game with their very own hands. They even get to decorate the game to match the Ice Age movie characters and theme. Lowe’s also offers “Build and Grow” clinics, where kids can build wooden models of their favorite superheroes.
- Football clinic – Does your son love football? If they’re between ages 5 and 14, they can attend the Shining Star Energy Youth Football Clinic for free of charge at the Alamodome in July. They’ll practice on offense and defense and do blocking and tackling drills with the area’s best coaches.
- Free LEGO play – The LEGO store at North Star Mall is offering free Star Wars LEGO playtime from May through June. Kids can collect up to four free LEGO Star Wars character cards. The store is also offering a free pass to LEGOland with any purchase made before June 30.
These are just a few of the many free events you and your kids can take advantage of this summer. Want more fun activity ideas for the Schertz, Garden Ridge, New Braunfels or other surrounding areas? Contact an agent at The Claus Team today. Our local experts can recommend the perfect summer fun for you and your little ones.